Contact Us

To contact Save Our Buses please email us at: sobs_mtdruittasa@hotmail.com
or phone Deb Robertson on 02 98351882 & 0409669876

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Our Group Exists Because Of And For The People of Mount Druitt

When I look over our journey to where we are today, we have mapped Mount Druitt properly on the international atlas. What do I mean by that - Mount Druitt is not known for good stories of real lives living around our suburbs and any success that the community or individuals have.

I remember a few years ago when I went to a save 'Mount Druitt Hospital function' and was told after the meeting by a leading bureaucrat 'You bastards, you stopped Doctors coming to the hospital because of your protest!' I was a no-one and I cannot forget the response I made to this high shot looking bureaucrat (earning possibly $100,000-$150,000 per annum income), ' Well you should make decisions to close part or all of the Mount Druitt Hospital and this protest would not have happened!' There was community outrage! He went back to sipping his tea with his peer group of decision makers.

Now, it appears I have taken a leading role to return back to the Mount Druitt community what has been misleadingly taken away. We hear of population increases for the future and how do we cater for future increased transport infrastructure? I took this community leadership role unbeknown that the community needs people like myself and the group members that ares supportive with me - our group has never been dismantled and doesn't have factions - like political parties. Our group has community members that are raising the flag for their own bus services and they also wave the flag for the entire bus services that have been deleted.

Our strength is growing in local support from nine initial group members to approximately forty members - yet every group member can count for at least ten community members they know of that they speak too and so on and so on. We survive without the support from local State members, we go on local tuition, knowledge and quality local community members who have had similar dealings before. In fact I am not the main person that needs to be accredited with any returned service - it is the community people of Mount Druitt that deserve all acceptations, the quality group members that have given their time, advice and lend their expertise to get to where we are today. All of us do travel on buses around Mount Druitt and now we all travel differently to get to places - even finding it difficult to reach the new bus stop.

So our journey doesn't stop - our buses do not stop and get the buses to move on to make the community move on to their places of destination.

Someone told me today (not living in our area)the Government doesn't provide public transport to make a profit - it provides public transport to cater for the desired public needs and wants. I am so proud of the community people of Mount Duitt and will represent them in the best possible way I can with the great support around me! Let's bring back the buses!

No comments:

Post a Comment